Sunday, October 13, 2013

Update on the moss....

Ever since my excursion into the magical moss forest last Friday, I've been captivated by the mystical essence of this phenomenon. After my own researching, then putting it out on my Facebook page, I come to learn that this is actually not a 'moss' but a lichen.

Although it is a true lichen, Ramalina menziesii. is commonly known as both Lace Lichen and Spanish Moss, perhaps for its rather soft appearance and greenish color. Although its morphology is quite variable, generally speaking this lichen hangs from its host in long, branching strands that can reach up to 2 meters in length. If examined very closely, R. menziesii resembles an elongated, greenish-yellow piece of material with many holes in it. (http://online.sfsu.edu/bholzman/courses/Fall%2003%20project/R.menziesii.htm)

I don't know why this has captured me so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
Sweet Blessings and Big Love to you