Saturday, October 5, 2013

New Devine Feminine Spirit Doll Faces...

Hello friends. Hope you are enjoying this beautiful Fall Saturday! It's going to be sunny and warm here in the Redwoods. Also a perfect day for the beach! lol... I'm going to be in my studio, for a full, uninterrupted, day of art making!

This week a new Goddess You can see more of the faces on my Etsy site. Yes. I'll be selling these so you can make your own!(CLICK HERE). Please feel free to ask for help or guidance. It's a fun process and easy to do. Most meaningful if you gather embellishments from your environment.

face emerged, made from a new mold from an antique angel statue... bringing forth some beautiful new "Devine Feminine" faces.

How these spirits emerge... I have a 'thing' about being as organic as possible. So all faces are made from real, terracotta clay. (Not plastic, polymer.) They are air dried for a few days in the California Sun, filtered through the Redwoods, naturally.

When the clay is still soft and wet, I often place holes in places where it would be convenient to secure them to a Spirit Doll body. Then an Etsy customer asked for one without holes and I discovered I can easily drill holes where ever desired. I think maybe these faces would be great for jewelry making? mixed media assemblage?

Once they have dried, each face 'speaks' to me, as I begin to layer glaze upon glaze of the amazing Stewart Gill Byzantia paints. Stewart Gill paints are all hand made with love, by a small family company in England. I was introduced to their wonderful quality at an Art and Soul retreat in Portland, over 6 years ago. They truly are amazing! I've tried other similar paints, ones much easier to find/purchase.... but these are well worth the effort!

My stash from 6 years ago  has dwindled and I found a more local source:  "Artist Cellar." This is what they say: Drawing inspiration from the art and architecture of the Byzantine Empire, Byzantia paints are incredibly rich, luscious and intense simulating cloisonné jewel toned enamels in a water based formula. AND! They shipped them immediately!! FREE!

Painting the faces is a sweet time of contemplative meditation, as I allow each spirit to 'speak' to me. I'm never quite sure what will appear. And I'm always surprised, pleased, and so honored when I get the message "Complete. Do no more."

Hugs to all... xoxo Chris
Here are some close ups. Each face is unique and has her own ancient Wise Woman presence!













3 comments:

  1. Must be something about making faces in the air! I spent part of today creating some from paper clay and molds....not half as beautiful as yours, but fun to make nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be something about making faces in the air! I spent part of today creating some from paper clay and molds....not half as beautiful as yours, but fun to make nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I checked your blog, but you haven't posted pictures of your faces. Thanks for the compliment too!
      Many blessings, Chris

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
Sweet Blessings and Big Love to you